Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Southwestern Roasted Potato Salad

I grew up hating sweet potatoes mostly due to the trauma of over-baked sweet potatoes with a layer of marshmallow sugar-coma on top. (Of course, if you enjoyed that treatment, you are a sturdier character than I am.)

With that said, I was invited to present a recipe to a throng of 250 ladies recently and I decided to share a recipe my mother created. Well, I had always wanted to give sweet potatoes a fair treatment and gave my mom's a try.

Wasn’t I surprised when it came out to be delicious? Thankfully, the 250 ladies also agreed. On a side note, though this is my mom’s prize-worthy recipe, she has yet to make it herself which remains a testimony to her awesome skill.



Southwestern Roasted Potato Salad

4 medium North Carolina potatoes (Garnet Yams), peeld, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 Cups)
½ Cup, plus 2 TSP olive oil, divided
1 TSP salt
1 TSP freshly ground pepper
1 TSP cumin
1 TSP dried oregano leaves
1 (15.5 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 Pint grape tomatoes
1 Cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ Cup chopped, fresh cilantro
3 TBS fresh lime juice
3 TBS fresh orange juice
1 – 2 TSP ground chipotle pepper powder

Preheat: oven to 425°

In a large bowl:
Toss sweet potatoes with 2 TSP of olive oil. Spread potatoes into a single layer on a baking sheet. Season with salt, black pepper, cumin and oregano.

Bake: Stirring occasionally for 35 – 40 minutes, or until potatoes begin to brown or are fork tender. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool

Add: Black beans, red onion, tomatoes feta and cilantro.

In a small bowl: Combine lime juice, orange juice, chipotle pepper and ½ cup of olive oil, whisking to form a smooth vinaigrette. Pour vinaigrette over salad, toss gently.

Serve.
(This refrigerates well too.)

1 comment:

Marcy said...

I think anything with Cumin is yummy. I dont like that whole marshmellowy yam thing either. In fact, Im hosting thanksgiving this year and told everyone I wont be making it... so if they want it, bring it! But maybe Ill surprise them with your dish instead! :)